3. Sweet potato:
- Sweet potatoes can be cooked in just about any way you can think of! Here are the best methods to use when cooking sweet potato for your baby…
- Baking. This is oh-so-easy! Pre-heat your oven to 375 deg F, 190 deg C. Scrub the potato, prick it with a fork and bake it for around 45 mins, until it feels soft. Cool briefly, then split the skin and scoop out the soft flesh.
- Boiling. Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks. Use just enough water to cover the potato, then cover the pot and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer until tender. Drain straight away, or the pieces will become mushy and watery.
- Steaming. Place peeled sweet potato cubes on a steamer rack over a pan containing around an inch of water. Cover and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat and steam for 10-12 mins.
- Microwave. Pierce a whole sweet potato with a fork, then place on a paper towel and microwave on high for around 5 mins. Allow the potato to stand for a further 5 mins – it will continue to cook during this time and will soften considerably.
- Having a barbecue? Then just wrap a sweet potato in foil and place it in the coals to cook. It will take around 45 mins… and is a great way for your baby to join in the party!