ITIL, an acronym for Information Technology Infrastructure Library is a set of practices for IT service management in order to expand the service and operations into the future and focuses on aligning the service operations with the business needs. The ITIL service lifecycle of ITIL v3 has been replaced with the ITIL service value system (SVS). According to ITIL 4, the ITIL SVS represents:
“How the various components and activities of the organization work together to facilitate value creation through IT-enabled services”.
ITIL 4 will enable IT professionals to provide and support world-class digital services and lead their organization on their journey to digital transformation. ITIL focuses on DevOps, Agile, and digital transformation. It emphasizes on the functioning of the business and technology world. The core components of ITIL 4 are as follows:
- Service value system: Moving beyond service delivery towards end-to-end value co-creation.
- Guiding principles: Adopt and adapt ITIL to your own circumstances and daily business practices.
- Four dimensions: Enables a holistic approach for co-creating value for your clients and customers.
- Processes to practices: Practical examples for delivering effective IT-enabled services.
- Integration: Adaptability to switch and work with other technologies and methods.
How does ITIL 4 work with the cloud-based services?
The level of change in IT includes new digital technologies and domains like cloud, Big Data, IoT, Artificial Intelligence, and blockchain. ITSM professionals need to understand what digital transformation is all about to remain relevant in the new IT landscape. Since the cloud is the most common digital technology being adopted today, they need to become leaders and trusted advisors in matters relating to the cloud. The adoption of cloud has changed the approach that the organizations and IT functions will need to take in areas such as IT risk management, financial management, process management, IT architecture, security, and IT service management. A significant problem that the ITSM professionals face is where to start from. The new structures in ITIL 4 relate to using cloud services. These include the following:
- Service value system considerations for cloud
- Service value chains adopted for cloud
- Impact of cloud on IT Service Management and ITIL process lifecycle.
- Service level agreement
- Service financial management
- Value stream mapping
- DevOps, Chain, Change Control, and velocity of change.
The ITIL framework aims to achieve quality products and services that are fit for use and aligned to the strategic goals and needs of the organization.
Why is machine learning integral to IT services?
An organization defines activities, workflows, procedures, and control needed to achieve business objectives. Machine learning can be deployed to use this collected data and help to create new ones or improve existing outcomes with or without human intervention. A common example of machine learning in organizations is the use of chatbots and virtual assistants. ITSM tools can learn from patterns, past events, incidents, known errors, and problems in order to provide automation, especially for repetitive tasks. An IT manager should consider AI and emerging fields of machine learning both in ITSM strategy and hiring employees.
For whom is the ITIL 4 certification?
The ITIL 4 certification is designed to help the following individuals:
- Those who want to acquire basic knowledge and understanding of the ITIL framework.
- Those who want to understand the benefits of adopting ITIL to enhance IT service management.
- IT professionals and other employees within an organization that has adopted ITIL.
What can one expect from the certification?
The ITIL 4 foundation candidates will have the knowledge and understanding of the following:
- The four dimensions of service management.
- The guiding principles of ITIL 4.
- Concepts of Lean, Agile, and DevOps and their significance in delivering business value.
- How ITIL processes can be integrated into different areas of service management and IT.
- How ITIL practices described in ITIL 4 will maintain value and importance provided by the current ITIL processes.
ITIL training programs
You can choose to take training in many formats like discussed below:
- Online self-learning: Self-paced learning with a comprehensive assessment to gauge your knowledge and mock tests.
- Online self-learning + live interaction online training: Live sessions with online self-paced learning, comprehensive assessments to gauge your knowledge, and mock tests to help fine-tune your skills.
- Corporate solutions learning: Learning with your team to level your team’s skills to meet demands. It has options to customize learning solutions for the team to get effective outcomes.
- One to one learning: Self-paced learning with mentor access, interactive sessions to sharpen your skills.
Benefits for the enterprises:
The benefits of adopting ITIL practices in enterprises are as follows:
- ITIL processes like incident management and Problem management quickly restore the services and create workarounds.
- Risk analysis and management activities with ITIL processes.
- Enhance customer and client satisfaction by giving a competitive edge to your organization.
- ITIL processes help in the management of accounts, budgets, and charging requirements.
- ITIL processes like change enablement and continual improvement help the organization to align its products and services as per the changing environments and demands.
- Prevent incidents with ITIL processes by conducting major incident reviews and eliminating root cause.
- Make IT the core part of your organization by leveraging ITIL as a service provider.
Benefits for the individuals:
- Enhance your job prospects and chances of promotion within your organization.
- Develop expertise in management skills and risk management.
- Understand the common terminology used in the business globally.
- Meet the industry demands with new ideas.
- Align your solutions and methods with recent trends and technologies.
- Gain detailed insight into the ITIL framework that will help you to manage your work better.
ITIL certification exam:
You need to register yourself for the ITIL 4 exam on the Prometric website. Login to the Prometric page and schedule your test by selecting your preferred location and date of the exam. You need to provide your eligibility ID in order to take the test. The exam consists of multiple-choice questions. The exam consists of 40 multiple choice questions and you must secure 65% in order to pass the examination. This means you must get 266 marks out of 40 in order to pass. It is a closed book exam with a duration of 60 minutes.