Bobby Flay’s Hamburgers with Double Cheddar Cheese and Grilled Vidalia Onions:
- 2 pound(s) ground chuck
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slice(s) (1/4-inch thick) white Cheddar cheese
- 8 slice(s) (1/4-inch thick) yellow Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 (1/4-inch thick) Vidalia onions, sliced crosswise
- 8 hamburger buns
- Horseradish mustard, for garnish
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- Pickles and ketchup (optional)
- Preheat grill to high. Shape the beef into eight 4-oz. burgers and season both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or to desired doneness. During last minute of cooking, add 2 slices of cheese (one of each kind) to each burger; cover grill and let the cheese melt, approximately 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, brush olive oil on both sides of the onion slices and season with salt and pepper. Grill onions for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Place burgers on buns; top with horseradish mustard, lettuce, grilled onions, pickles, and ketchup, if you like.
- You don’t need a ton of fancy ingredients to make a spectacular burger. Just wrap a patty in bacon before grilling, then serve it with lettuce, tomato, onions, and a simple sauce.