With all the different options available on the market, choosing the right electric scooter according to your needs and budget can be quite confusing, and this is why in this buying guide, we are here to help you.
We will review three of the best high-end or performance electric scooters in 2020 based on our tests with various products available today, each can be categorized as high-end electric scooter with above average sets of features. Without further ado, let us begin
1. Xiaomi M365 Pro
|Weight||31.3 lbs or 14.20kg|
|Maximum speed||15.5 mph or 25km/h (ECO: 9mph or 15km/h; D:12.5mph or 20km/h;S:15.5 mph or 25km/h)|
|Cruising distance||28miles or 45km|
|Battery pack power||474Wh|
|Maximum motor power||600w|
|Charging time||8-9 hours|
|Wheel size||8.5-inch air-filled tire|
|Weight Limit||220lbs or 100kg|
- 250W motor with a max speed of 15.5 mph
- High-capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18.6 miles (under specific conditions)
- Compact and lightweight with just 26.9lbs of weight. Portable folding design for easier storage or hand-carry when necessary.
- Aerospace-grade aluminum frame
- Disc braking and e-ABS regenerative anti-lock braking system, offering 13.1 ft braking distance
- Intuitive controls that simplify learning and use for all ages while improving safety
- Minimalist and modern, award-winning design. Winner of Red Dot “Best of the Best” Award, as well as the iF Design Award 2017
Pros and Cons
- Compact and lightweight with foldable design
- Great battery capacity with advanced battery-saving features
- Great, intuitive app connectivity with decent features
- Excellent 28.8 miles cruising range
- Massive motor with great top speeds
- Popular, so spare parts are readily available
- Low ground clearance, so unlevelled terrains can break the base
- Only 220 lbs (100kg) of a maximum weight limit
Xiaomi is nowadays a very prominent brand that is especially known for its affordable smartphones and smart TVs. The Xiaomi X365, however, is not the cheapest electric scooter around and can be best described as a budget commuter above $300.
With that being said, the X365 Pro is arguably one of, if not the most popular electric scooter you’ll see around the streets nowadays. Great overall value with a pretty well-rounded set of features.
For starters, you’d get a decent top speed of 15.5 mph (the standard for electric scooters nowadays) and an impressive range of 27 miles. However, even with all those features, it comes in a fairly light weight of just 31.3 lbs (14.2 kg).
Overall, it is a really well-rounded electric scooter that is much improved from Xiaomi’s previous scooters with a significantly upgraded ride quality, a better display unit (that displays your speed and other information).
The Xiaomi M365 Pro electric scooter, however, isn’t all about the impressive unit but also offers one of the best apps with features like tracking your speed, distance of your journeys, battery capacity, and so on. The app also offers advanced battery conservation features that can provide you with an extra mile or two. Also, the battery also charges as you brake with the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) technology.
Overall, a really good electric scooter with great overall value.
2. Swagtron Swagger 5 Elite
|Unit Weight||26 lbs|
|Weight Limit||320 pounds|
|Maximum Speed||18 mph (29 km/h)|
|Maximum Range||11 miles|
|Nominal Power||250 W|
|Maximum Power||600 W|
|Nominal Battery Capacity||216 Wh|
|Maximum Charging Time||3.5Hours|
- Swagger 5T e-scooter can be folded for easy storage in car trunks and compact spaces
- A 250W electric hub motor can produce 18mph or 29km/h and can roll over inclines as steep as 20 degrees.
- Li-ion battery that can charge in 3.5 hours for 6-11 miles (17.7 km) of travel depending on weights, speeds, and terrains
- Rugged aluminum frame capable of supporting riders up to 320 lbs or 145 kg
- 3 different gears
- Cruise control mode
Pros and Cons
- Very affordable while offering a pretty decent set of features
- Great 18 mph top speed
- Great minimalist and modern design
- 3 different gears to choose from, very versatile
- Cruise control mode for a more comfortable ride
- Rear disc brake
- Fast charge time of only 3.5 hours
- The low cruising range of only 11 miles per charge
- Need the smartphone app to switch gears
- Cruise control can be problematic
The Swagtron Swagger 5 Elite is another affordable option below $300, and a rare feature within this price range is the above-average top speed of 18 mph, although it’s questionable whether you’d ever need the 18 mph speed in your daily commute.
It has only one 250-watt motor, but as mentioned, it can produce 18 mph top speed although in practice it will only reach a smooth ride speed of 14 to 16 mph. It has a pretty limited cruising distance of only 11 miles on a fully-charged battery. However, the battery is lithium-ion and so is pretty fast to charge in only 3.5 hours.
Another interesting feature is that the Swagtron Swagger 5 Elite can support 320 lbs of maximum weight, despite weighing only 26 lbs. This is due to the sturdy aluminum frame that is also very durable. However, although it technically can support larger riders, its low-powered motor will translate to slower acceleration and slowdowns especially when climbing steep terrains.
Nevertheless, a pretty decent option below $300 especially if you want a higher top speed and weight limit.
3. Razor E100 Electric Scooter
|Unit Weight||29.5 lbs|
|Weight Limit||120 pounds|
|Maximum Speed||10 mph|
|Maximum Range||10 miles|
|Maximum Charging Time||8 Hours|
- 24V (two 12V) sealed lead acid rechargeable battery system, charger included
- 10 mph maximum speed
- Twist-grip acceleration control
- All-steel frame
- High-torque and chain-driven motor
- 8” air-filled pneumatic front tire and urethane rear wheel
- Retractable kickstand
- Up to 40 minutes of continuous use
Pros and Cons
- The most affordable electric scooter in this list
- Offers twist-grip throttle so riders can easily control the speed and handle the scooter
- Retractable kickstand allows for upright storage
- High-quality steel frame, sturdy and durable
- Left-hand front brakes with decent stopping power, easily control the scooter while riding at higher speeds
- Several safety features like bumpers at the end of the handle grips
- The motor will only start after a 3 mph minimum speed is generated
- The battery needs 8-hours of charging time, but only gives 40 minutes run
- Lead-acid batteries are prone to overcharging
- Not foldable
- No adjustable handles
The Razor E100’s key highlight is certainly its affordability. However, with its price tag, the performance is slightly above average although it doesn’t offer groundbreaking features.
The top speed is only 10 miles per hour, and you’d need to kick start the electric scooter until it reaches the minimum speed of 3 mph in order to start the motor and get it moving. The battery can run for 40 continuous minutes, which is pretty decent, but it requires a charging time of at least 8 hours (but in most cases 12 to 18 hours).
The pretty low top speed, however, might be a decent advantage if you have kids (that are 8 years or older, depending on your location’s legal age requirement) since it’s going to be safer. Also, it’s easy to operate with a push-button throttle, which again, makes it an ideal choice for children.
A downside, which might be pretty major, is the fact that it uses a chain-drive motor. Chain-drive motors require regular maintenance and can be noisy.
Overall, the Razor E100 is the most affordable choice in this list with a pretty decent performance that is also suitable for children.
All of the best electric scooters we have reviewed above are of great qualities, and each comes with their own advantages and disadvantages. So, choosing the absolute best among them is a very difficult task.
However, for the sake of this buying guide, our choice goes to:
Best Overall: Xiaomi M365 Pro
Shouldn’t be a surprise. The Xiaomi M365 Pro is the most popular electric scooter you’d find on the street and not without its reasons: it is relatively affordable and yet is packed with decent performance across all aspects with a trendy, familiar design. A great choice for most commuting purposes.
We hope you’ve gathered enough information from this buying guide, and can make a better purchase decision with what we’ve shared.