Email is the most popular business communication channel, through which thousands of emails with important and confidential information pass through every day. Therefore, corporate mail is often subjected to various attacks. Not to get into trouble, it is critically important to ensure its safety. So how to make your email impossible to hack?
Email Security Issues – Real & Potential
Since email services are widely used today, they have become a means of spreading viruses, spam, and phishing attacks. Many hackers use false messages to induce recipients to divulge confidential information, open an attachment or follow a dangerous link. The email security of a user is often a vulnerability that cybercriminals use to gain access to the corporate network and critical internal company data. The same problem refers to WordPress websites collecting user data. In this case, using a WP antispam can be an efficient solution.
A corporate mail server can also be attacked, which can sometimes lead to a complete stop of its operation. For example, for an online store that accepts orders by mail or any service that requires confirmation of registration by mail, email service hack can cause serious financial and reputation loss.
That is why it is so important to talk about email security and know what type of security to choose for your email service.
Ways and Means of Email Protection
Unfortunately, there is no 100% reliable way to safeguard your email. The security of email systems can only be ensured by a set of measures, which include:
- Server location selection, network security;
- Using a firewall or specialized Email Security Appliance;
- Control of access to corporate mail, determination of privileges for each category of email users, and other provisioning servers;
- Using encryption to protect e-mail messages – even if they are intercepted, their contents will be impossible to read;
- Using specialized antiviruses;
- Email protection tools for spam filtering.
Email Protection from Hacking & Hackers
There are some easy ways of protecting your mailbox from hackers. Here are some steps for you to follow:
- It is necessary to minimize the likelihood that someone else will gain access to the corporate network and mail. For this, firewalls and network security policies are used.
- To make sure the contents of emails and attachments are impossible to access, encryption is used. In this case, the data cannot be read even if intercepted.
- The mail security setting must include SSL encryption for both mutual server and client authentication.
- Using a VPN to connect to remote mail clients.
- Protection against DDoS attacks on mail servers.
Installing specialized hardware and programs that will compare new software with a known list of viruses, the analysis of its “behavior” can be one of the effective approaches when it comes to dealing with email protection. The solution will check whether it is threatening and block attacks thus protecting corporate mail.
Protection from Email Spam & Phishing
Mail protection against spam and phishing is usually implemented using a multilevel filter system that checks the reputation of the sending server, filters based on SPF records (a list of servers from which mail is allowed to be received), DKIM (checking that the contents of the message have not changed), DMARC, Black and white lists of prohibited/permitted senders. As a result, a user doesn’t receive any infected links.