Are you looking for a perfect fit glass shower door for your existing washroom or a newly renovated serene washroom? Are you in search of a gorgeous shower glass door that would best fit within your lifestyle and your wallet?
It’s true; glass shower doors set the overall appearance of your bath decor. They are the best ornament that can create an enjoyable shower experience for all homeowners. Well, selecting the right glass shower door is a crucial decision, and you need to know a lot before you put your hands and money in it. So, before wasting any time, let’s head to know all you need to know about glass shower doors. This article is an essential guide for contractors and homeowners who are planning to install glass showers in their bathrooms.
Precise information is your need and your right! Let’s start with the type of shower door you can opt for.
Types of Shower Doors
Those of you who desire for variety and style; you have good news. You can choose from a wide range of designs and styles that serve all bathroom decors.
Also known as bypass doors are best for tub enclosures, narrow bathroom with limited space. You can place these washrooms in the corner since they consist of two or three panels with sliding doors. They are easy to clean and maintain. If you want to learn more about sliding shower door or purchase sliding shower door Visit here.
These are swing-open doors that open outwards from a single side. This type of door can be installed in a medium to big size bath since it needs to swing open outwards. However, if you want you can also swing the door open inwards within the shower cabin. Make sure you have enough space between bath fixtures and doors so mishaps can avoid.
They are usually placed in the corner forming a curve and best for big size washroom since they take in much space. The round doors open inwards that gives a fragile look and depicts a model bath.
The framed and frameless doors are appreciated in modern contemporary interior designing. Let’s look into its differences in detail.
Framed VS Frameless
Well, it’s true that framed shower doors are sturdy, durable and have greater support than as compared to frameless doors. However, some believe that framing deteriorates the intrinsic beauty of the door. That’s not true!
Both look great in all contemporary settings, offering a wide range of design and style options, are safe and made from tempered glass. But specific characteristics make them different from each other. Some of the differences are listed below:
- Framed doors are made of thinner glass, whereas frameless doors have much thicker pane.
- It is easy to install a framed door and thus is more affordable. On the other hand, the frameless door involves a complicated installation process and is expensive.
- According to some users, maintenance of framed doors is difficult; since tracks preserve water within them, resulting in corrosion and growth of mold and mildew. Conversely, frameless doors are easy to clean; since they do not collect water thus does not lead to any corrosion or any other problem.
Glass Type Used in Shower Door Enclosure
Earlier shower glass doors made of regular glass; they were appealing but responsible for substantial injuries.
Tempered: Today, a typical shower glass door made of tempered glass that is more durable and prone to injuries. The tempered glass follows a heating and cooling process making it safer and invulnerable to breakage. Moreover, even if it breaks, it disintegrates into small glass chunks not sharp and pointed glass shreds.
Laminated: Moreover, laminated glass is another safety glass product used for shower doors used in contemporary bathroom settings. Laminated glass formed by two sheets of glass adhered to a transparent vinyl central sheet. This panel makes glass intact even after breakage. So those of you who value safety concern for your family and loved ones; install a laminated glass for your shower door.
Now let’s look into some other characteristics you need to know about glass.
Shower Door Glass Styles
I am sure you are heading with a tempered or laminated shower glass door. Wait – there are many styles available; which one suits you best?
- Clear: If you like it simple, opt for a simple transparent glass; it is one of the most popular and most demanded designs.
- Patterned: If you prefer a textured pattern on the surface of the glass, patterned glass is the right option for you. It creates simplicity, yet elegance with style.
- Frosted: Frosted glass creates slight opacity by acid etching regular glass texture. It gives a smooth and soft appearance making it slightly opaque.
- Tinted: Adding subtle colors in the glass shower creates privacy for your shower closure.
Standard Glass Thickness
Shower door thickness is as integral as protecting your child from the fire. Remember, shower doors should be thick enough to maintain their strength, light enough to be easily installed and best sufficient to be used by users easily. So, before you choose the shower glass door make sure you get some professional help because a thicker glass door is difficult to mount, and a lighter one could cause severe damage. Resulting in the loss of money and remodeling delays. So, if you are opting for a shower door, opt for two thickness options:
- Frameless shower door: 3/8” glass and ½” glass thickness
- Framed shower door: 3/16” and ¼” glass thickness.
Shower Door Finishing Options
Shower doors are not complete without finishing options; they not only compliment the tone of your bath décor but enhance its beauty. You need hinges, pulls, knobs, glass clamps, towel bars, and a wide range of other accessories. So it would help if you considered the latest fashion trend, so it matches your unique taste.
- Clamps/ clips: Clamps and clips are essential and help in securing fixed panels of glass for frameless shower doors. Generally, a wet glazed with transparent silicon is used to secure glass, whereas a deep U-channel is used to fixed panels of glass to the wall or ceiling. There are wide ranges of options available some of the most popular are: Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Brass, Oil rubbed bronze and Matte black.
- U-Channels: Metal U- shaped channels replace the need for silicone sealants between glass and metal; thereby resulting in a quicker and neat shower door installation. It secures glass to tile and is available for 3/8” and ½” thick glass. A wide variety of types and options are available, such as; chrome, brushed nickel, brass, oil rubbed bronze, and others.
Types of Shower Trays
Your bathroom is not complete without a shower tray; you need something durable, stylish, discreet, yet authentic shower tray. Make sure you choose the right size, shape, and style; you adhere most. There is a wide range of sizes and shapes available, so be vigilant in choosing it because one wrong decision can lead to mold growth and other water damages. Generally, circle-shaped shower trays are most common, but today square tray and rectangle tray are gaining popularity. You may also try quadrant or pentagon tray if you are looking for something luxurious.
Now, let’s look into some materials of shower tray you need to know:
- Ceramic tray: They are the most common shower tray material; it is affordable, but not very durable. Since if you drop anything substantial on it, they will shatter or crack.
- Acrylic tray: They are affordable, light-weighted, and easy to install. However, they are not classy and stylish, so you don’t feel robust installing it in a dream home.
- Marble tray: They are an expensive, heavy but highly exclusive and beautiful option that compliments every bathroom design. However, they are mostly available from boutique-style retailers so if you are ready to empty your wallet, it goes perfect for you.
- Stone resin tray: They are durable, robust and gaining much popularity due to its new designs, colors, sizes, and shapes. Most interior designers opt for stone resin trays; they are affordable yet classy.
- Steel shower tray: Steel shower tray is another sleek contemporary designed shower tray that allows seamless integration in the shower space. They are long-lasting, durable and easy to clean. Simple clean it with a wet, soapy cloth and maintain the cleanliness of your bath.
Want to add more glitter and comfort to your bath; install the following accessories. They will compliment your bath décor.
- Shower Sweeps: It acts as a water-resistant seal that keeps water inside the shower area.
- Towel Bars: Including a towel bar to your glass shower door will add convenience and comfort. It is not only the closest place to position your hang your towel but a need for your bath.
- Grab Bars: Grab bars are safety tools that help individuals maintain balance while standing. It limits the possibility of individuals, especially seniors from getting injured.
- Shower Seats: Shower seats, stools, chairs, and commodes help your loved ones offer great support during their bathing routine.
How to measure before placing an order
It is advisable to get professional help; since one wrong measurement can lead to huge losses. However, if you believe you can handle it better, start measuring it from top and bottom.
- Measure the height of the door on each side of the opening to the nearest 1/16”. Recheck and save the more important or higher measurement.
- Measure the width from side to side at two places top and bottom to the nearest 1/16”.
- If not sure, get professional help. Fab glass and mirror equipped with experts who have experience and professional tools that will help you get your shower door at your doorstep. Call them today and make an order today.