Everyone knows how sea sponges have changed the makeup industry. Whenever you hear people saying that sea sponges are better than makeup brushes to apply foundation then you might get in doubt. The first thing that comes to your mind is whether it is a good idea to use a cheap sea sponge instead of expensive brushes or blenders. No doubt sea sponges are perfect for you if you want flawless and even makeup but you must use sea sponges properly to get the best results. Here is how you should use a sponge.
How does it make your Skin More Flawless?
One of the main reasons that makeup artists prefer sea sponges over makeup brushes to apply foundation is that the sponges give an even and flawless look to your skin. Here are the steps you need to follow to achieve the best results.
One of the most important steps in using a sea sponge is to get it wet. The first thing you should keep in mind is that the sponge should not be too wet or too dry. To dampen the sponge you should place it under water. The sponge will get wet and then swell.
Now you have to squeeze the excess water out of the sponge. You can do it with your finger but to get the perfect moisture in the sponge you should place it in a dry towel and then squeeze it. Do not squeeze too much otherwise, there will be no moisture left in the sponge. Make sure to keep the sponge damp moderately.
Dab The Sponge On Your Face
Another common mistake that most people make is that they rub the sponge on their faces. This way the foundation will be dragged instead of getting blended. The best practice is to dab the sponge on your face to apply the foundation. This way the foundation will be blended evenly and give an even tone to your face.
Use A Setting Spray
it is not necessary to apply setting spray at the end of the makeup but you can also apply it after applying the foundation. Applying setting spray after applying foundation will make your foundation stay for a long time. After applying the base spray the setting spray on the sea sponge and then dab it on your face. It will also give a fine finish to your makeup.
Apply Baking Powder With Sponge
Baking powder is applied after applying the foundation to make the foundation look even in all areas like under the eye or contour areas. You have to apply the baking powder then let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes and then dust it off. If you dab the baking powder with a sponge then it will give a perfect baking effect to your face.
Use Less Product
Yes, you read it right with a sea sponge you only have to use a small amount of foundation. The best part about a sea sponge is that it is damp and it absorbs a very small amount of foundation in it. The most common mistake that most people make is that they use a lot of foundation when applying it with a sponge. The drawback is that instead of giving your skin a flawless or even tone it will give your face a cakey look.
When To Use Makeup Brushes Or Sea Sponges?
There is always a long debate between the people who use sea sponges and the people who use makeup brushes. Both these makeup tools have their pros and cons and their own right time to use them.
Sea sponges are perfect to apply foundation when you want light coverage. Sea sponges are also perfect to use if you want to apply a light layer to any makeup product. Here are some pros and cons of sea sponges.
- The best part of using a sea sponge is that it gives you a streak-free finish. You do not have to put any effort to get a flawless finish.
- As sea sponges evenly spread the foundation on your face it gives a more natural look to your makeup.
- Sea sponges give better coverage to your pores. As you apply foundation by dabbing the sponge on your face so your pores get better coverage without putting in an effort.
- If you have sensitive skin then sea sponges are perfect to apply the makeup. Sea sponges are very soft which makes them very easy to apply to makeup even around sensitive areas like the eyes.
- You just need one sea sponge to apply any makeup product to any area.
- The biggest drawback of using a sea sponge is that they are very difficult to clean. If you use any dark-coloured makeup product with a sponge then they are permanently stained.
- You have to take proper care of sea sponges otherwise a sea sponge can be a breeding environment for bacteria. Sea sponges are used after you wet them so it is very important to let them air dry properly before you use them next time.
- Sea sponges are not very durable. Mostly sea sponges get chipped after a single use so always have to keep an extra sponge as a backup.
- No matter how much care you keep your sea sponge you still have to replace them after some time. The main reason is the bacteria that can grow in sea sponges and cause acne so it is always good to change them after some time.
Makeup brushes are used when you want medium to full coverage of your foundation. Makeup brushes are perfect to use when you apply any makeup product to a specific area. Here are some pros and cons of makeup brushes.
- If you want to build coverage then your makeup brush is a perfect choice. You can build coverage with a sponge too but it is much easier with a makeup brush.
- If you want precision in your makeup then you must use a makeup brush.
- It usually takes more time to apply foundation with a makeup brush as compared to sponges. so makeup brushes are not a good choice if you are in a hurry.
- It is very important to clean the makeup brushes properly or it can harden the brush bristles or damage them.
- Good makeup brushes are way more expensive than sponges so you do not have the option of changing them frequently.
How to Use Makeup Sponges to Make your Look More Stunning
There is no doubt that makeup sponges have countless benefits but there is always a proper way to get full benefits of anything. Here are a few things that you must keep in mind while using a sea sponge for face.
Wet The Sponge
Before using the sponge you must dampen it so it works perfectly. Damp sea sponge absorbs less product and helps the makeup product blend smoothly and naturally.
Apply The Product
do not pour the product directly on the sponge but first, you should take the product in your hand and then dip the sponge in it. Do not drag the sponge on your face but dab it to apply the product evenly.
Keep Your Makeup Sponge Clean
It is very important to keep your makeup sponge clean. There are many cleaners for sponges that can help you to clean them easily. After washing the sponges you must sir dry them properly then store them in a clean and dry place.
In A Nutshell
There will always be an ongoing debate about the benefits of sea sponges and makeup brushes. But sea sponges are a better option if you are going towards an organic lifestyle, a more natural look, and less expensive makeup tools.