We all want a clean, attractive hardwood floor. However, learning how to clean it is essential to protect and maintain your magnificent investment. A multitude of cleaning products and methods are available on the market and finding those that suit you may seem complicated.
Here are some tips to ensure that you clean your hardwood floors adequately.
1. Choose the right hardwood floor cleaner
Good choice of hardwood floor cleaner:
– Our recommendation # 1 is Dupray Floor Cleaner. It leaves no residue and is safe for your family, pets and the environment.
– Always use a recommended hardwood cleaner. Your hardwood floor cleaner must be non-abrasive and easy to use. It must leave no trace or residue and must not require rinsing. It must dry quickly and emit no VOCs.
Wrong choice of hardwood floor cleaner:
– Never use liquid or paste wax, oil-based detergent, vinyl or tile cleaners, surfactant detergents, any household cleaning products. General or other household products containing lemon, citrus, tung vinegar, oil or silicone to clean your hardwood floor. These products can dull or damage the finish or leave a greasy film and make your hardwood floor slippery and harder to clean.
– Never use 2-in-1 cleaners that contain acrylics or urethane-based polishes to restore luster.
– Avoid strong cleaning items such as steel wool pads, scouring pads containing metal or scouring powders. These items can tarnish and damage the finish of your hardwood floor.
– Never use a wet mop or steam mop on your hardwood floor. Water and steam can tarnish the finish and damage the wood. The best multi purpose steam cleaner spray excessive heat and water onto your floor, which can cause buckling and damage in the long run.
2. Standard cleaning of your hardwood floor
Daily Sweeping: Sweep your hardwood floor to remove loose dust and kernels.
Weekly Vacuuming: Vacuum your hardwood floor with an accessory or soft-bristled broom, especially in higher traffic areas. Do not use vacuum cleaners with a threshing brush or an electric rotating brush head. The passage of a vacuum cleaner prevents the accumulation of dirt and particles that can scratch the surface of the wood.
Monthly cleaning:Clean your hardwood floor with a recommended cleaner and a mop using a machine-washable microfiber pad for dusting and cleaning. Electrostatic action attracts dirt, microparticles and common household allergens.
When cleaning your hardwood floor, you must:
1. Sweep or vacuum your hardwood floor.
2. Spray a small amount of hardwood floor cleaner on your microfiber mop. Avoid pouring cleaner directly onto your hardwood floor.
3. Wipe your floor.
4. Excess cleanser that does not evaporate immediately should be dried with a clean cloth. No rinsing is necessary.
3. Special cleaning situation for your hardwood floor
Stubborn stains: Caused by food, water, pets, grease, pencils, ink stains and
rubber heel marks:
– Spray your hardwood floor cleaner on your microfiber cloth.
– Wipe the area to clean it.
Chewing gum and candle wax:
1. Place a sealed plastic bag filled with ice on the gum or wax to harden the substance.
2. Wait until the gum or wax is fragile enough to crumble.
3. Scratch gently with a plastic scraper or credit card until you remove all the substance.
4. Spray your hardwood floor cleaner on your microfiber cloth.
5. Wipe the area to clean it.
Following these simple cleaning tips ensures that your Lauzon hardwood floor will remain beautiful for many years to come.