Computers are now in just about every home and business. The capital needed to digitize SMEs and our homes have made the technology more ubiquitous. The level of productivity, increased efficiency, and reduction in administrative costs that come with computers has made them essential in every business.
Advancements in technology have made our personal lives much more comfortable and productive, too. Communication has become cheaper and more interactive with features like social media, VoIP, and video calling. Our entertainment, music, and video are now streamed directly to our devices at our convenience, and we can create our high-quality media.
Read More: CPU Coolers for PC Gamers | Why they are Important
Quick troubleshooting ideas
Considering the amount of time we spend on our computers, in time they are bound to get damaged one way or another. Although the situation might be the first time you have come across it, you would be surprised at how many people have been in the same situation. Should you find yourself in a jam, here are around a few ideas on how you can solve them:
- Cracked screen – This is widespread on mobile devices like laptops and tablets. Generally speaking, a hairline fracture is manageable, and you could continue using the device. But be careful not to widen the cracked by putting pressure on it. If the cracked screen makes the device unusable, then the immediate solution is to use an external monitor. Some smart TVs can even be used as such. One you have time, you can buy a replacement screen and do the fitting yourself, but it’s best if you ask and professional to do it for you.
- Spilled liquid on your laptop/PC – This requires quick action. Immediately turn off the computer, unplug everything and remove the battery if it’s a laptop. Keep in mind that flowing liquids is what causes damage to your computer, so try to turn it to the side in which it was spilled; if you spilled coffee on the top-left side, then turn it to its top left-side to get the liquid to run out. If possible, dismantle the computer and clean away fluids using a circuit cleaner. Once again, it would be best if you got a professional to do the cleaning for you.
- Accidentally deleted a file – This sometimes happens because we were not paying attention or the antivirus went overboard, but it happens. The fix can be relatively simple. Go to your Recycle Bin. All deleted files go there. If you find it there, restore it. If you can’t find it there, you could download a deleted file recovery tool to search and restore it. If that doesn’t work, you can use Windows’ File History feature, which is a backup of your files. If the deleted file was a critical system file, then you might have to do a System Restore or reinstall Windows.
- Computer has a virus – How to fix this depends on the type of virus. Ransomware generally requires you to restore your backups. Other malware needs a bit more work. Such as starting your computer on Safe Mode or in a pre-installed environment so that you can install and run a new updated antivirus from a CD or USB.
No dice, now what?
Computers are naturally complex, so there are a myriad of things that can go wrong with it. Not only that, but the amount of work, expertise, patience, and tools needed to fix even common problems are just too much for many people. Fortunately, you can search for computer help near you that you can use.
How do to find a good, reputable, reliable computer repair shop:
- Start by asking your social and professional circles for referrals or reviews of repair shops they have used
- Use an internet search for nearby shops using services like Google or Foursquare.
- Search for reviews of the chosen shops on third-party review sites like Yelp
- Make a site visit so you can see for yourself their setup and especially if they have the right tools to fix your issue
- Ask about their guarantees and service agreements
Read More: Best PC Repair Software of 2020
No matter what, someone has your back
Computers are fascinating and fun. If you damage yours, then do not panic. You can have fun and learn by fixing it. If you do not have the time, then you can get in touch with experts to help you.