Personal injuries happen everywhere in the world. In fact, these types of injuries are caused by many things. There are millions of people who experience personal injuries every day. In almost all cases, personal injuries are the result of someone else’s negligence. But, there are times when these injuries are also caused by the victim’s reckless behaviors. Whatever the reasons are, you must remember that sustaining personal injuries can be a life-threatening experience. Keeping these in mind, it’s best to know the most common causes of personal injuries in the world to help reduce your risks.
What are the most common reasons for personal injuries?
It’s worth remembering that there can be several reasons why personal injuries take place. While it may be intentionally or unintentionally inflicted, what matters most is the emotional, financial and physical burden it can cause you and your family in the long run. Depending on how you’ve obtained your injuries, you may have the right to sue the other party at fault for compensation for damages.
- Vehicle accidents: One of the leading causes of personal injuries is vehicle accidents. This includes collisions involving bicycles, cars, motorcycles, trucks and even pedestrians. Many people are injured because of vehicle accidents. Take note, the use of cellular phones is one of the biggest distractions when driving. Also, drunk driving can lead to deadly accidents on the road.
- Accidents sustained in the workplace: Accidents incurred in the workplace, particularly on construction sites, are high in number. That’s why a heightened level of awareness and safety is required to prevent workplace accidents from happening. In all circumstances, construction workers should wear complete safety gear and observe security precautions at all times.
- Medical malpractice cases: There can be a variety of reasons why medical malpractice might happen. While doctors are duty-bound to perform a duty of care, medical malpractice occurs when they commit a breach of duty. For instance, misdiagnosis, surgical mistakes, and errors in the administration of medicines are common examples of medical malpractice.
- Slip, trip and fall accidents: Unlike other types of accidents, slips, trips, and falls can occur anytime and anywhere. Even when you’re walking along the streets, buying some groceries in the supermarkets, working in the office and going out with friends in malls and public parks, you’re always susceptible to getting injured.
- Product defects: Consumers expect that all products should be safe for use. However, there are still hazardous items or products which are produced with defects. That’s why the law protects those who are injured by product defects.
- Wrongful death: Unfortunately, not all accidents end with just injuries. Sometimes, an accident can cost one’s life. In these types of situations, any death caused by another person’s negligence can be considered as wrongful death. Some examples of wrongful death include firearms accidents, car crashes deaths, criminal behaviors, and exposure to hazardous substances.
- Injuries from dog bites: Injuries as a result of dog bites can affect your overall emotional and physical health. These animal attacks can cause extreme injuries, so it’s important to note that the owner or any other person having control over the dog can be held responsible for the injuries.
Things to do legally when you’ve had a personal injury
The thought of getting injured as a result of an accident is frustrating. While you concentrate on getting your life back to normal after the injuries, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. For instance, you can be compensated for your medical bills and other expenses, loss of earning capacity, lost wages, and for emotional, mental and physical pain suffered because of the injury.
Here’s what you should do legally when you’ve had a personal injury after an accident:
- Get in touch with the police authorities regarding the crash (if the crash involves cars and other types of vehicles): Calling the police is essential in dealing with car accidents. Remember, a police report from the local or state police can help support your injury claim.
- Notify your insurance company immediately: It’s important to note that notifying your insurance company should be done quickly. If you fail to report the accident to your insurer, your insurance policy might not cover your personal injuries.
- Ask for medical help so your injuries will not develop into a more serious one: Regardless of whether the injury is minor or not, seeking medical attention after an accident should always be prioritized because it could turn into something more severe if you don’t report your injury to a doctor. Should you consider filing a lawsuit claim, the medical assessment report from your doctor can also help with your claim.
- Collect as much evidence about the accident and your injuries as possible: If you’re bringing legal action against the offending party, collecting as much evidence as you can regarding the crash and the injuries is essential. You can do this by taking photos of the scene as well as your injuries.
- The accident should be well-documented in the employer’s accident book when it occurs in the workplace: Informing your employer of the accident is vital, especially when you decide to file workers’ compensation for your injuries.
- Speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you with your case: If you want to receive the settlement that you deserve, consulting a personal injury lawyer can be beneficial in deciding the appropriate legal action you can take against the party at fault. If you choose to get the services of a licensed attorney for your bicycle injuries, you may click here to know more information.
- Consider an out-of-court settlement: With the assistance of an attorney, you can consider an out-of-court settlement to get compensated for the damages suffered from the accident.
- File a personal injury lawsuit: When an out-of-court settlement did not succeed, filing a personal injury lawsuit in court can be your last resort. You can request the help of an attorney when filing a suit for the recovery of damages.
Keep in mind, getting into an accident and sustaining personal injuries can affect you the rest of your life. While recovering from these injuries can be financially exhausting, the law provides you the right to get financial compensation for the losses you’ve sustained. Protect your legal rights by letting your attorney fight for it against anyone responsible for your injuries.