The most important part of your home is its foundation. Over the years, weather changes and soil movement affects the structural wall. At first, these changes are only a few cracks that might not require immediate action. However, when you neglect basement floor and wall problems for a long time, it escalates and affects the overall structural integrity of your home.

What are Common Structural Problems?

Before you know the solution, you better get an understanding of its problems. Here are some signs that tell you the story of structural damage.

Wall cracks

There are two different kinds of wall cracks. One results from water damage, and they require your attention, known as structural wall cracks. Another kind of crack is due to weather changes, and it’s not of that severe nature. A horizontal crack usually doesn’t require you to raise some concerns. The main problem is stair-like cracks and especially when water seeps from them.

For identifying structural cracks from nonstructural ones, you can seek professional help. First, plan an inspection session with foundation repair experts. They will come and check the cracks. A general rule of thumb is that if a crack is wider than one inch, it’s problematic.

Uneven Floor

Another most common sign of structural damage is the uneven floor. The reason that your basement floor sinks are either soil movement or water damage. Water accumulates around the foundation during heavy rainy seasons and then finds an entry point into your basement. As it stays on the floor, soil moves underneath from the porous surface.

Soil saturates and expands to put pressure on the floor. Thereby, your floor becomes uneven, and you even notice cracks on your floor.

How to Deal with Structural Damage?

Whether it is uneven floor or wall crack, you should seek professional help. Some people try to fill the gap with a DIY approach. However, it’s not the right approach. It might seem like an easy job to fill the gap, but in reality, it requires expertise. Following a Youtube video and filling the gap won’t be helpful. So, getting help from experts will always be the right approach.

Fillers and Sealants

When you have minor cracks, then structural wall repair contractors always fill them with sealants, which are different. The best one is high-density polyurethane foam. It is injected inside the crack. It takes a few seconds to expand and fill the void.

Another idea is to use epoxy resin, and it’s not as effective as foam but still can do a good job of dealing with cracks.

When cracks have water damage signs, too, then always opt for Polyurethane injection. This material can handle water seepage and lets you deal with cracks in the best manner.

Concrete Lift

When your floor sinks or becomes damaged, you need to seek concrete lifting services. It is done in two different ways. One is traditional and named mudjacking, and another one is the latest formula known as poly jacking.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments