Your first car is always going to hold a special place in your heart. But you don’t that to be for all the wrong reasons. Rather than choosing a car that you’re going to laugh about in decades to come as an “old banger,” why not instead spend a little time and effort ensuring your first ride is a real joy to drive that doesn’t cost a small fortune.
What to look for in a first time car
There are a few things to look for in any first time car, chief amongst which is reliability. You want something that can reliably get you from A to B, not something that looks cool but is likely to break down in the middle of the M6. Insurance is also a major concern. Your lack of experience is going to mean you’re always paying a lot of insurance but you can cut insurance costs by opting for smaller cars with less powerful engines.
Top 5 best cars for new drivers
1. Ford Fiesta – This modern classic is a firm favourite with younger drivers and those looking for good first cars. You can comfortably find a second-hand Fiesta for peanuts and even the older models are incredibly roomy and economical. The newer models are also equipped with black boxes, which will comfortably cut down on your insurance costs.
2. Toyota Yaris – Like the Japanese version of the Fiesta (sort of) the Yaris is an absolute workhorse that will never let you down. The new Yaris is a hybrid too, which is ideal for more eco-conscious young drivers. The drive, meanwhile, is incredibly smooth and Toyota are famous for their reliability.
3. Audi A3 – If you have a little more pocket money to spend then the Audi A3 is a great choice for those new drivers who are interested in a luxury car that’s also incredibly efficient. You should be able to find second-hand options for less than £10,000 and the fuel economy on even the older models is outstanding. Above all else, however, the A3 is a beautiful piece of engineering that will undoubtedly make you the envy of all your friends.
4. Renault Clio – Arguably the ‘cutest’ entry on our list, the Clio is a great choice as the insurance bracket for new drivers is very low, which means that the cost of insurance will be lower than other car brands. It’s a sporty little number that packs in bags full of style and has a really awesome sound system. A nippy little number, for sure.
5. Fiat 500 – If you’re into your retro styling then it doesn’t come much more retro than the Fiat 500. At least in a comfortable price range. Low running costs and great fuel economy also mean this stylish number is going to remain a favorite with first time drivers for years to come.