Home care is often misunderstood in terms of its definition. Many equate the same to the day-to-day needs of products that are required in different households. For example, detergents, washing equipment, cleaners, etc., are considered by many as home care products.
However, in reality, home care is different. It refers to the care meted out to individuals with a disability who need attention in their households. For example, the following are some categories of individuals that require home care and products-
● People who are recovering from an accident and need personalized care and attention.
● Seniors and adults are living alone and unable to tend to their own needs and concerns.
● Individuals that have life-long disabilities or special needs.
In this resource article, we look at the real meaning of home care. First, we identify the major types of homecare medical equipment. We also look at the different types of home care products. Lastly, we help individuals pick out the right brand or company from where they should buy their home care products.
What is Home Care: Meaning and Definition?
Imagine the different activities that a normal person does in their household—cooking food, getting groceries, taking their medicines, and so forth.
While the same might appear simple for someone able and physically fit, all the routine things mentioned above become serious challenges for people who are unable to do them.
Millions of people worldwide need assistance in cooking and eating their food, taking their daily medicines, using the toilet, and dealing with basic mobility—someone who is old, or injured, or simply specially challenged needs home care.
Nurses, therapists, and attendants fulfill the home care needs of individuals that require assistance:
The following are some home care services:
1. Doing household work such as regular cleaning, clearing the yard, washing clothes, or cooking food.
2. Taking care of bill payments, going to the bank, withdrawing money from the ATM, sending postal and filling and submitting government documents.
3. Attending the individual with special needs like washing their hair, bathing them, taking them to the toilet, and changing their clothes.
4. Performing medical procedures like changing catheters, giving insulin, putting in saline, or using the nebulizer/oxygen support.
5. Talking and giving companionship to individuals to reduce boredom and improve mental health.
If you look around you, you will see that there are many people that avail of such services. It is just that you are not too conscious about it.
List of the Major Types of Home Care Products
In this section, we are going to list down the different types of home care products that individuals might need-
i. Diabetic Stockings- this is something that doctors recommend for senior citizens that have diabetes. Stockings help keep the feet dry and reduce the chances of getting injured. Clotting is something that diabetes patients do not experience like normal human beings. Stockings also help in promoting better blood circulation and improving nervous systems.
ii. Blood Pressure and Sugar Monitors- senior citizens with high BP and are diabetic require constant monitoring for their condition. If fluctuations are not addressed, it might lead to a situation that can be life-threatening. This is why monitors for BP and Sugar monitoring are essential home care products for senior citizens.
iii. Wheelchairs and Walkers- people who are old have trouble with their mobility. The same goes for individuals that are recovering post an accident. Wheelchairs and walkers help such individuals with their basic mobility in and around the house. For example, if they do not have 24×7 attendants, they can use it to go to the washroom or answer the door.
iv. Commode and Washroom Supplies- normal commode seats might be too low for senior citizens who would experience pain in sitting and stand up. This is why a major category of home care products is devoted to washroom use. Raised seats, grab rail installations, and anti-slippery mats are some products that are usually installed to prevent accidents from happening.
v. Staircase Lifts and Ramps- again, these products help improve mobility in the homes. There are specialized installations that require an expert. If someone stays on the first floor, the staircase lift helps them stay mobile and visit the lower part of the house. The same goes for ramps that can help in taking the wheelchair to different parts of the house.
In addition to the above, there might also be medical products like nebulizers, saline stands, and other apparatuses considered part of home care products.
How to select the Best Home Care Products Company
In the previous sections, we listed down the various types of home care products. In this section, we are going to look at which company you should buy home care products.
● The first thing you should look at is the credibility of the company. Make sure that they are well-established and reputed in the industry. A simple way you can do the same is by going through their brand website and checking their social media platforms.
● Secondly, you need to ensure that the company has excellent customer service. This means that the chat support of the company needs to be live 24×7. Medical emergencies do not announce themselves before striking. You should ensure that the company’s executives can help.
● Thirdly, it is best to go for local family-owned community-centered businesses. They have a lot of care, concern, and compassion in helping individuals in their communities. Local businesses should be your top priority rather than go for an MNC that is only interested in making profits.
● Fourthly, there is always the factor of costs involved. However, going after the cheapest option should not be an option when it comes to home care products. Low prices are directly equivalent to poor-quality products. You should go for products that are decently priced.
● Fifthly, many individuals, especially those recovering from an accident, would not need all their home care products post-recovery. In this scenario, a company that rents out the products for a specified time period is something you should go for.
Check whether the company’s staff is knowledgeable when it comes to medical home care products or not. Last but not least, you need to check whether the company has the option of medical insurance tie-up. This will make the billing process incredibly easy.
The Final Word
Home care products can help senior citizens, special abilities, and accident recovery victims improve their lives. They can help allow these people to carry out their day-to-day activities and improve their condition.
Choosing the right nurses, attendants and therapists are equally important in this regard. If you are a son or a daughter looking at purchasing home care products for your parents, you should have benefitted by reading this article.
If you have any other questions, you would like us to answer on home care or the product’s front, feel free to do so in the comments below. We will be more than happy to help you out with your concerns.