1. Fruit recipes :
- 4-5 medium apples, peeled and cored
- use naturally sweet varieties, such as:
Golden or Red Delicious
pinch nutmeg or cinnamon
- Chop the apples roughly and place in a saucepan. Pour in about one inch of water – (you could use apple juice instead, but some varieties will contain sugar)
- Bring the apples to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer slowly until the apple chunks are tender (about 10-15 mins).
- DON’T cook the apples to the point where the mixture actually looks like applesauce! Cooking it this long will cause it to be watery and tasteless.
- Instead, remove the apple chunks from the pan and either puree them or mash them well. Thin with a little cooking water if necessary.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and serve warm or – as a soothing treat for teething babies – nice and cold.