Even if it doesn’t seem appropriate at the time, there are some things to say to a grieving person that really are sincere and compassionate. The key is to speak from your heart and avoid saying anything that tells the person to move on or deal with his or her grief
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- don’t know how you feel, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
- “I don’t know what I should say.”
- “Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.”
- Give a hug instead of saying something. (Honesty is always best.)