Immigrating to Canada as a Skilled worker and professional

Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada. All the information and forms you need to apply as a federal skilled worker are here. Note: The province of Quebec is responsible for selecting its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information. The rules for applying as a federal skilled worker can change from time to time without notice, so make sure you visit this site regularly if you are considering immigrating to Canada under this category.

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:

  • Include the results of your official language proficiency test, AND
  • have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
  • have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed here
    Your work experience must be for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time).

If you meet the above minimum requirements, your application will be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid , which are:

  1. Your education
  2. Your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
  3. Your work experience
  4. Your age

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents after you arrive in Canada.


Hot Topics

Related Articles