If you are a non-European citizen and you are willing to travel to Europe for tourism purpose then you might need to apply for a short-term Schengen visa under “tourist” specification.  You require applying for a Schengen Tourist Visa if your nationality is on the list of nations whose nationals require a Schengen short-stay visa.

What types of documents are required when you apply for a Tourist Schengen Visa?

When you apply for a Tourist Schengen Visa, you should submit the following documents at the time of your Schengen visa appointment:

  • Visa application form. It has to be accurately completed with correct information, printed and signed at the end.
  • Two recent photographs that have been taken within the last three months, in compliance with the criteria of Schengen visa photo.
  • Valid passport. It should be no older than ten years and with a least validity of three months beyond your planned stay in Schengen. It should have at least two blank pages so as to be able to affix the visa sticker.
  • Roundtrip reservation or itinerary.  There has to be a document that encompasses dates and flight numbers that specify the entry and exit from the Schengen zone. 
  • There has to be travel Health Insurance too.  You should attach the evidence that you have got health insurance that covers medical emergencies with a least of €30,000, for your entire period of stay.
  • The evidence of accommodation. Evidence that displays where you will be staying across your time in Schengen.  Remember it might be a:
    • Hotel or hostel booking. With name, full address, phone and e-mail, for the whole time you are going to be in the Schengen area.
    • Rent agreement. In case you have rented a place, in nation you will be staying.
    • Letter of tour organizer. In case you are going to be traveling with a tour agency.
    • Evidence of financial means. Evidence that displays you have sufficient money to support yourself across your stay in Schengen. This could be a:
    • Proper bank account statement.
    • Sponsorship Letter. When any other person will be financially sponsoring your trip to the Schengen area. It is even often known as an Affidavit of Support.
    • A blend of both.
  • Proof of employment status. If you are employed!
    • Employment contract,
    • Leave permission from the employer
    • Income Tax Return
  • If you are self-employed:
    • A copy of your business license,
    • Income Tax Return (ITR)
    • Company’s bank statement of the latest 6 months
  • If a student:
    • Proof of enrolment
    • No Objection Letter from your University
  • Travel Itinerary. It is a description of your trip to Europe, your motive of travelling,the places are you going to visit in Europe, the time duration and all the personal info.
  • For Minors:
    • Either birth certificate or proof of adoption / custody decree in cases parents are divorced or death certificate of parent
    • Letter of consent from parents, encompassing passport copies of both parents/ legal guardian


Since you have an idea about the documents that you should have to go to Schengen areas, you must check them out before you apply for the visa.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here