NISS, or social security identification number, is a way to receive rights and obligations in the sphere of social security. It is natural that applying for it becomes a really important task. If you wish to learn more about NISS Portugal, follow this material.
The Categories of Applicants for NISS
Below, you can familiarize yourself with a list of those who can apply for social security identification number:
- Legal representatives;
- Foreigners (self-employed, staff, etc.);
In case a person has a citizen card, there is no need to request NISS as long as it is given automatically.
Why Can the Social Security of Portugal Provide You with?
It is great to be a part of the social security system as long as you will get a lot of benefits. You are going to be given support in the following situations:
- Losing a job;
- Accidents linked to your work;
- Death of your family members.
Actually, there are quite a few situations when this kind of help can become necessary and relevant. For instance, if we talk about family, there are prenatal family benefits in Portugal, and there is also a disability supplement for young people and those under 10 years of age.
It should be clear that a claimant will have to face a whole set of the requirements to meet though (the movable assets, certain sums of earnings, and so on). At the same time, he will get help in case he really needs it, there is no doubt about it at all.
What Documents Have to Be Suggested for NISS?
Many people wonder whether it is hard to receive NISS or not. Here is what you need to be aware of: the whole process has become considerably easier if we compare it, let’s say, with the year 2020.
As with anything else, in order to complete the procedure of receiving a NISS, it is vital to prepare quite a few documents.
The first requirement that has to be met is as follows: you should have a residence permit (and it ought to be valid). If there are no problems with it, then, the primary step of the actual procedure is completing one of the two social security applications. Filling it in becomes possible in the Segurança Social. Here are the documents that have to be ready:
- A residence certificate;
- Proof of address in Portugal;
- A copy of a contract with your employer (it should be certified) or the formation documents for the self-employed citizens;
- ID card or the passport;
- National insurance number from the country of your origin or the Portuguese tax number.
And now, we would like to highlight some of the peculiarities regarding the employment contract vital for applying for NISS. It has to contain such info as:
- What the worker is going to do (the purpose of hiring him or her; his job duties, to be exact);
- What the employer’s company is all about;
- The name and address of the employee;
- Employer’s name and place of residence;
- Type of the contract;
- Where the office (a workplace) is located and how long the contract has been signed for;
- The info about the earnings;
- Signatures of an employer and an employee.
Here is how it all works. Make sure you have these documents and you will be perfectly fine!
All in all, it is hard to imagine living in Portugal on a regular basis without having NISS. That is why it is a great idea to spend some time applying for it. It will give you certain confidence in your future.