Oil pulling is a long-lived Ayurveda technique which was first described 5000 years ago in ancient texts. It is one of many ayurvedic techniques that are immensely valuable for purifying and strengthening the body. Today, it is no more a novelty as it might have been in the ancient times. On the contrary, it has actually turned into a quite simple and inexpensive daily habit that can be easily included in everybody’s daily life to bring about valuable changes.
Getting curious about it, are you? So, stick around till the end to unfold the amazing secrets of this ancient practice. You won’t be disappointed, we promise!
What is Oil Pulling and Its Benefits?
Oil pulling is basically taking a mouthful of oil and swishing it around the mouth vigorously for at least 20 minutes, before spitting it all out. Nowadays, coconut oil is one of the most used oil for this practice because of its pleasant taste in comparison to the other oils. However, traditionally sesame oil was the one recommended. It’s because of the antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties it posses. In addition, it is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and other essential nutrients required for a beautiful, healthy body and skin.
This method naturally helps to pull out all the toxins from the blood and oral cavities for an improved dental health. Lately, it has also been believed by many that along with the improved oral hygiene, oil pulling can also be used to cure a variety of health issues including skin problems like acne. How? We will just get there, but before that here take a look at the other benefits of oil pulling:
- Reduced bad breath
- Whitened teeth
- Improved skin conditions
- Improved hormone imbalances
- Full body detoxification
- Boosted immune system
How Oil Pulling Help To Clear Acne?
Are you wondering how even swishing oil in your mouth will clear acne on your face? It sounds bizarre and absolutely obtuse to be the best treatment for acne doesn’t it? So, here’s the truth: Acne can often to be related to gut issues. And those issues are caused by an imbalance of the bacteria in the gut. We all know the fact that there are trillions of bacteria in our body including the gut. Some are good and some bad, but in order to stay healthy, we need to maintain a proper balance between them.
These bacteria have a huge effect on the overall health and all of that eventually shows up on the skin. So, the real question here is what comes right before the gut? The mouth! The health of your mouth is thus tied to the health of your whole body. Having a healthy mouth can lay a foundation for a healthy body overall which includes the skin too. So, oil pulling is the best treatment for acne as it naturally pulls the bad bacteria from the mouth not letting it reach the gut, resulting in a happier and healthier you.
How To Do An Oil Pulling?
The basic method of oil pulling to heal acne is the same as the technique of oil pulling used for an improved oral health. So, just relax and follow the steps and tricks given below to reap the most out of this practice.
- If you are going to use coconut oil, melt it by keeping the sachets or the jar in hot water as it usually comes in a solid form. Once it melts take a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and swish around. The best time for this therapy is first thing in the morning after waking up and yes definitely before breakfast.
- Swish the oil rigorously around the mouth. Suck and pull the oil through all the teeth and the gaps in between. If a tablespoon of coconut oil feels too much. Feel free to reduce the amount. If you start with too much oil, in the beginning, it can make it difficult to swirl the oil in the mouth properly.
- The oil at first will feel a bit dense and viscous; however, as you swish it in your mouth, it will mix with the saliva and become a lot lighter. So, do not spit it out just because it doesn’t feel right. Do give it at least one chance.
- Being a beginner it will be tough to go on swishing the coconut oil around for a straight 20 minutes. Therefore, swirl for as long as you can and then work your way up. If you can only do it for five minutes, that’s not a problem just continue to make a progress without giving up. Once you get there, keep yourself busy while you oil pull, time will fly away.
- The final step after pulling oil for 20 minutes is to spit it out into the trash instead of the sink. Because if you do spit it in the skin you’ll definitely end up regretting as it will harden after a while and also clog the pipes in the long run. One important thing to keep in mind is to never ever swallow the pulled oil. It could lead the toxins you just pulled out to re-enter the body.
- Once done with the process, use a tongue cleaner on the tongue to clean it and brush your teeth as usual.
Results For The Best Acne Treatment
It can be said that regular oil pulling is the best treatment for acne as many people have seen fantastic results in the form of clear skin. But, in order to reap long-term benefits continue to practice this method. The key is to give this method some time. Do understand the fact that it will not clear up acne overnight. Be patient and begin by taking the baby steps.
In some cases, acne could be related to hormones, allergies, diet, or any other health issue. So, remember to eat healthy and drink a lot of water to see good results. If it still persists, make an effort to talk to a dermatologist in order to determine the right treatment for them.
Well, it is all you needed to know about oil pulling. We hope this beginner’s guide will help you to become an expert oil puller in no time while reaping the benefits that will come along. After a while, do come back to share with us your experience, we’ll be waiting right here for you!