Republican Congressman, George Santos admits to “lying” to win the elections

0
126
George Santos
Newly elected Republican congressman, George Santos / social media

After being elected as a Republican Congressman, George Santos publicly apologized for the misstatements on his resume regarding education and work experience. Despite this, he stands firm in taking the oath of office to join the majority-Republican House of Representatives come January 3rd.

Last week, the New York Times revealed the findings of their investigative report on Santos’s biography, uncovering that it featured incorrect details including his college and prior employers.

“I wanted to improve my CV”

But the Republican representative admitted his lie after a week of silence, according to the newspaper, and said, on Monday, December 26: “My sin is that I wanted to improve my resume … I’m sorry,” stressing that “he is not a criminal.”

Santos admitted lying about his college graduation and making misleading claims that he worked for the prestigious Wall Street firms Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. The New York Times denied that Santos had worked for either of these institutions.

The 34-year-old congressman added that he had already worked for a company called LinkBridge as vice president, working with both giant financial institutions.

He did not study in any college!

On the other hand, Santos admitted that he did not study in college, despite his previous claim that he obtained a degree from Baruch College in New York City in 2010. He said: “I did not graduate from any institution of higher education.. I am embarrassed and sorry that I beautified my resume.” .. I admit it… We do stupid things in life.” 

On November 8th, Santos was elected to Congress in order to represent parts of Long Island and Queens. His victory tipped the scales for Republicans who won a slim majority in the House of Representatives-the lower house of Congress.

In the context, his Democratic opponent, Robert Zimmerman, wrote on Twitter that Santos had admitted that he was a liar, and said that the Ministry of Justice should hold him accountable for his actions.

In an additional tweet, he proposed that Santos should “step down from office and challenge me in a special election” to allow the constituents to learn of their true history.

Santos declared to the New York Post, emphasizing that his campaign was not designed to promote himself but instead aims towards addressing people’s issues and fulfilling the promises he made during it.

It is scheduled, according to the current situation, that Santos will be sworn in on January 3, along with the rest of the next batch in Congress, while stressing that the controversy over the issue will not prevent him from serving a two-year term in Congress.

guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments