Things You Need to Know About Tier 2 Work Permit Visas

Things You Need to Know About Tier 2 Work Permit Visas

The Tier 2 category is when Non European individuals apply for a work permit visa in UK. As a skilled worker you can apply to enter or remain in the UK if you have been offered a job here from a licensed sponsor with a valid certificate of sponsorship. The visa itself is a highly popular route for overseas students who would have previously used the Tier 4 general student visa to study in the UK.

The UK Border Agency applies a points-based system in conjunction with other category-specific requirements under the Immigration Service Rules. The following advice will help those looking to qualify for the visa and give you some insight on which route is best.

1Find A Registered Sponsor

As a Tier 4 General Student you are required to obtain a UKVI registered Tier 2 sponsor. There are multiple ways you can find a sponsor, maybe you have networked during your stay or worked somewhere part time, however the best way to typically find a sponsor is through the UKVI website.

If in the case that you’ve been offered a job but the company in question doesn’t own the correct licence you need, it will mean that you won’t qualify for the Tier 2 visa. You need to be careful at this stage and ensure that the correct documentation is in place as you don’t want to find yourself being caught up in a false promise and being sent home.

Tier 4 general student’s must be a graduate in order to quality for this category. You will need to have carried out full-time study in a UK university and graduate from said university with a degree.

2The Tier 2 General Visa

You are able to apply for this category if you’re a skilled worker who has been offered a job to fill a space in a company that can not actually be filled by a current UK worker. In terms of points, you will need to obtain 70 points and to be granted a Tier 2 Visa under the general category you must achieve a score of 50 points points. In order to do that you will need a certificate of sponsorship and be able to give documentation that states your salary. The final 20 points will be for the English Language Ability and maintenance funds.

3The Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa

If you have been offered a position in the UK as a minister of religion, a missionary or even a member of a certain religious order, then you can apply under this visa. For the category, you must once again follow the 70, 50 and 20 points score as mentioned in the General Visa section previously.

4The Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa

If you’re talented enough, you can qualify for this visa if you’re an elite and established athlete or coach. If you can make a significant contribution to the development of your sport, then you will be welcomed through this route. You need 70 points, 50 points from your sponsorship certificate and endorsement from your sport’s governing body. Furthermore, the English Language ability 20 points will be need along with an appropriate salary.

5The Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa

IF you’re an employee of a multinational company and alternatively, you may be being transferred to a UK office from your overseas business for long or shorter term stays. Through this route you can apply to fill a position that cannot be filled by a new recruit from the resident workforce as a graduate trainee position that leads on to a management role.

To quality for this, you need 60 points, 50 additional points for the certificate of sponsorship and finally a remainder of 10 points for maintenance funding.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments