If you’re planning to fully undertake the ketogenic diet, or keto diet, you probably want to find the best meal plan. A lot of changes are involved in doing a keto diet, but it doesn’t mean your meal plans should be miserable. Interestingly, a multitude of recipes can be found online for your consideration, but scouring through them can take a bit of time and energy. Is there a way for you to actually make your own recipes without having to risk your diet? In fact, there is! You just have to read through this article and take the below tips into consideration.
It might help to learn some facts first before we talk about the specifics of keto diet. For instance, a lot of people are wary about new diets nowadays because of how certain foods can potentially “harm” them when not taken properly. This is why the low-carb, high-protein, and high-fat consumption in the keto diet is not a popular option to a lot of people. However, it does have its benefits. For instance, keto diet can help reduce high blood sugar levels, thanks to the low carbohydrate consumption. This diet can even lower insulin resistance, making your body protected against risks of diabetes. Yes, you can get all these benefits by eating – that is, eating right.
Keto Meal Plan: The Considerations
It does help to look into sites such as Keto Domain to learn more about the keto diet before jumping into it. When creating a meal plan for your keto journey, consider the tips below:
- Assess just how much energy you need: If this is the first time you’re pursuing a keto diet, you might want to go with the KISS method, or the keep-it-short-and-simple approach. This allows you to have a good-enough plan to follow that isn’t too complex for your system to adjust. The first step to this is to accurately and appropriately calculate your essential macros, which can be done by finding your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your body’s total energy expenditure (TEE). The BMR is basically your body’s minimum calorie requirement, while the TEE is your BMR added into exercise and daily activities. There are specific ways for you to calculate this, which you can research online. From these numbers, you can find ways to determine the macros you need to achieve your energy needs.
- Identify what kind of protein works for you: There are a lot of protein sources for you to choose from under the keto diet, which can be overwhelming. Keep track of the proteins you’re consuming, especially if you’re on a budget. Try to stick to just three (3) sources of protein: eat more eggs as they’re cheaper, seafood or fish as they’re accessible, and more grass-fed varieties of basic proteins (chicken, pork, and beef) to get the best results.
- Choose your oils: Try to be creative with the kinds of oils you’re using as you set up your meals. For instance, you can use bacon fat, organic extra virgin coconut oil, or avocado oil for your salads and in your dressings. You can even use butter or avocado oil for grilled food. Use oil that’s low in carbohydrates so you can maximize your keto diet.
- Consume fruits in moderation: Fruits are healthy, but they are also loaded with sugars, so consume them in the right portions. Stick to fruits that are high in fiber and antioxidants. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are excellent choices.
- Find better alternatives when it comes to cooking your food: Be creative when it comes to the way you cook your food as well. For instance, explore ways you can cook your dishes by using a grill, stove top, and pressure cooker. As much as possible, use the oils that are naturally present in meat to cook and flavor your food.
The Bottom Line: Consistency and Safety Are the Keys to Success
Getting into the keto diet requires long-term commitment to achieve its health benefits. Naturally, you would want to prepare meals that you’ll enjoy eating as you are in it for a long time. Making these meals shouldn’t be hard, however. Always remember that there are always ways to make your keto diet meal planning easier. After all, meal time should always be a good time.