The summer months imply being bathed with sunshine amidst the plush greenery and fresh blooms everywhere. It is the time when the rays of the sun, though scorching, also herald the beginning of many new lives. But right after the colder season when the summer months set in, it is likely to make your family’s routine go all topsy-turvy.
This directly affects your oral and dental health to a great extent. In order to restore your oral health it is essential that you take some precautions. Here are some of them with the help of which you can take good care of your dental health and restore your pearly whites during the warmer climate.
- Stick to a Routine – Camping and vacations are quite common during the summers. As the kids are on the vacation mode, they often fail to take good care of their oral health. As they do not have to wake up early for school they often fail to take good care of their dental health. The adults also get lay and often miss out on their oral care routine. But it is vital to never miss brushing twice or flossing during this time as you are prone to a lot of snacking and drinking during this time. You can add brushing and flossing in your kids’ list of simple tasks that may include things like doing the dishes and making the bed and so on. As for yourselves, set examples to the little ones by maintaining your own oral care routine.
- Restrict the Intake of Sugary Foods – High-in-sugar diets are quite common during the summer holidays as you tend to keep munching on them without much control. It is a healthier choice to consume three meals a day than eight to ten snack-intakes that can affect your oral health quite badly leading to loss of tooth enamel, dental decay and erosion and much more that wear away the dentine underneath and your teeth can look discoloured as a result of that. Not only that, your teeth also become sensitive because of this. So avoid sugary foods as much as you can.
- Drink Lots of Water – To maintain a healthy lifestyle in the sweltering heat of the summer, it is essential to drink lots of water to keep oneself hydrated. Drinking water also helps with oral hygiene. Water flushes the bad bacteria out of the mouth by promoting the production of saliva.
- Regulate the Consumption of Alcohol – It is quite easy to be carried away but there are certain luxuries that you should be careful about. The regular intake of fizzy and sweet alcoholic drinks can lead to tooth decay. Added to that, alcohol is also a leading cause of oral cancer and that is why you must ensure that your drink responsibly.
- Set Up a Healthy Diet – Acid attack is quite frequent in the summer months because of the incessant snacking habits of people during these months. But you and your family can also benefit from the freshly grown veggies and fruits during this phase. Keep the fruits and veggies clean and go for bottled water instead of juices. These will help to restore your oral health.
- Schedule a Check-Up – Summer is the ideal time for the annual check-up for an entire family. Though a visit to the dentist is not always on the priority list, it is essential that you get your oral health checked right on the onset of summers. This way you can stay prepared even when you are going for holidays and also get to know about any threat that can affect your dental condition. Make sure that you go for the best dental clinic where you will get the most proficient dentists and upgraded technology to get the best value for your money.
The above are some of the things that will help you to maintain and restore the oral health of your family and that of you during the summer months. Your dentist can help you further with this and so you should ask for his or her advice. This will give you the confidence to flaunt your beautiful smile whenever you want.