A spicy potato chip causes the death of an American teen

It led to a heart attack...

An autopsy revealed that a 14-year-old American teenager passed away following his consumption of an extremely spicy potato chip, which he ate as part of a contentious challenge.

Harris Woloba, a resident of Massachusetts in the northeastern part of the country, experienced a cardiac arrest after consuming a food item high in capsaicin, as revealed by the autopsy report obtained by Agence France-Presse on Thursday.

Capsaicin, the potent compound found in hot peppers, triggers a burning sensation when consumed.

Local news outlets disclosed that a teenager tragically passed away in early September 2023 following an attempt at the “one potato chip challenge.” This contentious challenge involves consuming a highly spiced chip and endeavoring to refrain from drinking water for an extended period.

The product features the Carolina Reaper pepper, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s hottest pepper. This potato chip is packaged in a coffin-shaped box adorned with a skull, emphasizing its extreme heat. Following Harris’ death, the manufacturer decided to pull this product from the market.

The autopsy findings revealed that the young man had been battling cardiovascular disease, a condition that likely contributed to his demise.

Local news outlets have documented instances of other teenagers falling ill or requiring hospitalization after consuming these chips, with specific reports emerging from California and Minnesota.


Hot Topics

Related Articles